There are several professions with a high rate of substance abuse due to the stress and emotional toll these jobs create. Many large organizations today offer mental health services and time off for therapy. Still, many people use drugs and alcohol
to cope with the pressures of working in a fast-paced or dangerous career field. Men and women who struggle with alcohol and drug addiction caused by their jobs can find support through addiction treatment for professionals and executives.
At Aftermath Addiction Treatment Center, we work with busy executives and young professionals struggling with addiction to alcohol, cocaine, or prescription stimulants. We understand the stress and anxiety of a high-pressure job and design our programs to meet the needs of lawyers, doctors, nurses, hospitality workers, and others. Our programs use the latest treatment modalities, including behavioral therapy and medical support. To learn more about our addiction treatment for professionals and executives, call 855-795-1226 or fill out our online form today, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.
What Are the Professions with a High Rate of Substance Abuse?
Working a high-paying job typically means you will be putting in a lot of hours to meet the job’s demands. It is very easy for people to ignore their mental health and work long nights and weekends and don’t get enough rest. Young professionals will often work 10 to 13 hours a day and then go out partying with their friends all night. Not giving yourself enough time to recoup and recover can build up stress and anxiety and cause insomnia, depression, and substance abuse.
Here is a list of occupations with a high rate of substance abuse.
- Doctors and health care professionals – This profession has some of the highest addiction rates, with over 50% of doctors using alcohol and 36% using opioids. For healthcare professionals, 10 to 14% report having a substance use disorder.
- Lawyers and legal professionals – Studies show that one in five lawyers use drugs and alcohol, with young lawyers with less than ten years of practice having the most cases of substance use and other mental health disorders.
- Music and entertainment workers – Creative artists will often use drugs and alcohol to heighten their creativity and keep up with the rigors of this career—11.5% of entertainment professionals struggle with addiction each year.
- Sales professionals – Salesmen and women work in many industries, and the rates vary depending on the company they work for. Addiction rates for sales professionals average between 7.8% to 10.9%
- Management positions – Managers are stressed about managing their teams and meeting specific deadlines. Substance use rates for managers, CEOs, and other executive positions average between 11.4% to 12.1%.
At Aftermath Addiction Treatment Center, we offer residential and outpatient treatment programs for executives, first responders, firefighters, and other professionals who need help breaking their addiction to drugs and alcohol. We are a full-service treatment center with programs for all levels of substance abuse.
Addiction Treatment Programs for Busy Professionals
Enrolling in an addiction treatment program allows for safe recovery and less relapse risk than trying to quit alone. Busy professionals will work on their recovery, free from outside distractions, until they are confident in their ability to maintain sobriety.
Here are some of the types of therapy that you may participate in while in recovery:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) – CBT is one of the most widely-accepted therapy methods for treating addiction and other mental health disorders. It works by addressing the original cause of the addiction and building skills to stop a person’s thoughts or feelings from causing any negative or self-harming behavior.
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) – This therapy is an offshoot of CBT and focuses on patients with personality disorders, self-harming, or suicidal tendencies. It helps them accept who they are and learn to be ok with their lives and the world around them.
- Motivational interviewing – This behavioral therapy builds a patient’s motivation to reach their sobriety goals by making small incremental changes that lead them toward achieving their goals.
- 12-step program – This program is for individuals who prefer a more religious or spiritual recovery experience, as this program relies on the belief that God or a Higher Power will assist in the recovery process.
Occupations with a high rate of substance use can find support for their addiction through an accredited addiction treatment facility. These programs support their busy lifestyles and allow some individuals to work a few hours while completing residential treatment.
Get Help from Aftermath Addiction Treatment – Massachusetts Addiction Treatment for Professionals and Executives
At Aftermath Addiction Treatment Center
, our treatment center is available to busy professionals who need help with addiction recovery. Our programs are tailored around the individual and will include behavioral therapy with medication-assisted treatment to minimize withdrawals and cravings. Therapists will continue to monitor their progress during the program and make updates as necessary to ensure they reach their recovery goals. If you are working in professions with a high rate of substance abuse and struggling with addiction, call 855-795-1226 today to speak with one of our friendly team members.