How Common Is Alcoholism?Alcohol use disorder, or alcoholism, is a condition that impacts 14.4 million adults in the U.S. each year, according to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Many of the people with this condition do not recognize what can happen to them because of it. Yet, each year, 88,000 people die from some type of alcohol use. Alcohol abuse can have significant impacts on an individual’s health and put them into dangerous situations because it impairs their judgment. If you have alcoholism and do not want to be a statistic like this, it is best to reach out to a Florida drug and alcohol addiction treatment center as soon as possible.
Signs of AlcoholismThere are some common signs of alcoholism that you may see in yourself or loved ones. Here’s what to look for to know if you’re at risk:
- Do you think about when your next drink will be? Do you need to have a drink each day to calm your nerves?
- If you don’t drink, do you struggle with anxiety, PTSD, or depression?
- Do you sometimes miss work, home, or school responsibilities because you’ve lost time or because you drink?
- Do you find yourself unable to talk to other people about drinking or drink around others because they tell you that you have a problem?
- Have you suffered physical illness from being drunk or been in a DUI accident?